Thursday, November 17, 2016

creating with mary: color mixing

Hi, friends! I am so thrilled to share with you today how I achieve my favorite, go-to paint colors that tend to show up time and time again in my artwork. I get asked often which brand of paint I use, and specifically - what colors I create with. I want to let you in on a secret: what I'm about to show you is so easy and will have you creating with the most AMAZING color palette ;) ! I use Golden fluid acrylic paint almost exclusively. While I experiment with LOTS of other brands (liquitex is another favorite!) I have yet to find such deliciously bold + bright colors anywhere else!

Here is the line-up. These are the colors I would have a really hard time living without (Note: we must not forget about white! It is not pictured here but is equally as important to me in my color mixing endeavors). Quinacridone Magenta, Primary Magenta, Cobalt Turquoise, Teal, Phthalo Green (Blue Shade), Yellow Ochre, and Hansa Yellow.
Remember how I told you mixing these colors would be easy?! With just about all of them, all I do is add white. 
Yes, that's it! Just look at how gorgeous these colors are. In my artwork I like to use the color straight from the bottle, as well as the color mixed with white. I love the depth and variety.
To achieve my all time favorite yellow - simply mix together Hansa Yellow Opaque, Yellow Ochre, White, and Phthalo Green (Blue Shade).



It is so much fun experimenting with the tints of each color! I hope you enjoy adding these beauties to your palette. Tag us on instagram - we would love to see what you're creating!
You can check out more guest posts from Mary HERE

Or you can find Mary:

Over on her website HERE 
Her shop HERE
Instagram HERE

4 comments:

Gigi said...

Such bright and happy creations

Özge Başağaç said...

Mary, i love your work. And i am so glad Alisa had got you as a guest here.Or i would not be able to know about your art.It gives me happiness and hope, seeing your art.

studioGypsy said...

always so beautiful, mary.. love your colors .. will need to jump into the fluid acrylics.. such beautiful fun!! xoxox

Mandy Ford Art & Illustration said...

Beautiful and helpful! Love Mary's artwork. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails