Monday, November 07, 2016

a peek inside my doodle diary


If you are like me, you may not have a lot of time every day to spend on drawing or painting. While art is my job, there are days when I just don't feel like working on anything complicated or time involved. This is where what I like to call my "doodle diary" comes in! I like to keep a tiny Moleskin journal (3.5" x 5.5") that I only use for fast, simple doodles. Sometimes I use a pen, sometimes watercolors or ink. Because the the surface is so small, I am able to fill the pages quickly but still get my creative fix! Here is a little peek into my doodle diary.
Want to start you own doodle diary? Here are a few tips.

Using a small journal or sketchbook will make the entire process less intimidating. While I love creating on large surfaces, a small surface is great when you have limited time or energy.

Don't feel pressure to spend a lot of time on those doodles. Take 5-10 minutes (depending on the size of your surface) and quickly fill it up.

Doodles don't have to be anything complicated- dots, dashes, squiggles and shapes are all simple but end up looking really dynamic when you repeat them on a surface.

The colors that you select will make all the difference in simple doodles, so try picking colors that bright, vibrant, that have contrast or even have personal meaning to you.

9 comments:

Barbora said...

Beautiful doodles! :)

Diana said...

Love! Love! Love! Thanks for the inspiration!

Mia Bloom Designs said...

This is a timely post for me to read. Love your doodles! I just entered "Sketchbook West 2017" for Las Laguna Gallery and received my 3.5"x5.5" sketchbook. It looked so small and wasn't sure how to sketch in it. After reading your post, I realize that it's a manageable size to work with on a daily. Thank you for sharing and inspiring me!

Kelliejo said...

Hi. I signed up for your doodle class yesterday. How long before you send login info? Super excited!!

Terri said...

Such a fun idea and fun diary! I bet it's therapeutic to have a designated sketchbook to just doodle.

Laura Host said...

I love the idea of a doodle diary! I have been really struggling to find time to create when I'm in the mood to create. This is a great reminder of what you can do in a few minutes, and it can become an excellent source of inspiration when I do have the time to do more.

Brig said...

Inspirational!

Laura Bei said...

Your doodles look so vivid and nice! Love following you along in this creative journey. I learned so much from your tutorials and insights. :) Thank you so much, Alisa!

Unknown said...

Wow, what fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails