Tuesday, December 15, 2015

holiday photo chaos!

Growing up we didn't do the whole "family holiday photo on a Christmas card thing". To be honest until Lucy, I really didn't send out Christmas cards. But once this kid popped out, I've wanted to document and share as much as I possibly can! Like many of you out there we plan a family photo every year that we use on our holiday card. And as much fun as it is to have these photos, the entire process is a big pain in the butt and totally crazy! While there are only three of us, it's a wild experience, no body listens and there's more goofing off than posing for photos..but that's what it's all about right?!? The last two years, we've had terrible weather so taking photos outside hasn't been an option so I've moved the entire circus to my studio. Here is a peek into the chaos! 


backdrop from Alisa Burke on Vimeo.

Special thanks to my brother for capturing our creative insanity on video!

While family Christmas photos are kind of a hassle, they are totally worth in it in the end. Here are a few of the best tips I can offer for the photo process:



Do something creative! No you don't have to paint a wall but try looking for a unique backdrop or setting for your photos. I love receiving quirky, interesting and creative photos in the mail from family and friends.


Save your money...don't hire a photographer! Just about all of the photos I take happen with my camera (or phone) on a tripod with a timer. It takes some time and work to get good photos but it is SO much cheaper than hiring a photographer. 


Be silly! I love funny photos so give your family permission to be weirdos! Make faces, jump around, wear strange clothing and don't be afraid to let loose for the camera.



The outtakes are always the best photos (at least in my experience). All those moments (in between saying cheese and sucking your tummy in), have potential to be those really special photos that can be used in your holiday albums.



Save a little money and make your own holiday cards! I know there is TONS of pressure out there at the holidays to spend money on trendy photo cards but printing your photos and making your own cards makes for a fun family project. 


20 comments:

Evi said...

Rolling on the floor laughing my head off!!!!! Thanks so much for sneak preview of the Burke Family photo shoot - I'm in stitches! Love it!

Creative Khadija said...

Super pretty! Thank you for sharing with us!

Anonymous said...

I think people should also get a copy of the video. Such fun to watch. Lucy is so cute!
Sara

Unknown said...

Fantastic! Always love your choice of colours!

studioGypsy said...

absolutely. the best. xoxoxo <3

Unknown said...

I love your family photos!))))))))

Katalin said...

I love your family photos!:)* ♥

Jan Priddy, Oregon said...

Very dear.

Anonymous said...

You have the very cutest little elf around (that hat! that face! = )

Happy Holidays! ~ Jamie

Kathleen said...

I love how your husband looks like he has a halo in all the pictures!

mbi said...

OMG, I especially love the second one! The look on Lucy's face is priceless. :-)

Anonymous said...

The video makes me smille :)))))))))))))))))))))))))
Feliz natal!! Merry christmas !!

Jodi said...

Love these! We make our own too and just find a free but pay for shipping photo deal. The funny candid shots always get more love! I so need to find red beanies for my two little girly beans!

Pat S said...

Loved the photos and video shoot. Have a great holiday! Pat S

McStamper said...

Adorable family. Love your pics. Merry Christmas.

MKat said...

Love them all! I feel like you've all given me a gift! Thanks!

An_Geli_Ka said...

So funny... !!

Alyssa said...

I love your photos and especially the outtakes. One of our goofy ones ended up on the back of our Christmas card. It was too funny to not use it. We mostly take our own photos, but as a friend of several artist/photographers, if you can pay a professional, it is worth every penny. My all time favorite family photo was taken by a professional and there is no way we could have captured it on our own. And it helps support other artists as well. Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

airlift movie release date
airlift 1st day box office collection business report
Airlift Movie Star Cast

Linda said...

Great video! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails